Painting a DISNEY MOANA Nesting Doll Set from Start to Finish - PART 3/5

The finished doll!

Don't forget to read Part One and Part Two first!

For the third doll in my Disney Moana set I am painting my favourite character - Maui! This doll is quite a lot smaller than the next largest and feels a lot less daunting.

My design sketch for a 'Maui' nesting doll

DAY 1 - 2.5 hours

The first day painting went swimmingly! I am really pleased with my progress, and I think the face looks true to the movie. I even managed to complete the hair and paint base coats for the tail and chest. My paint supplies have been running low so I've been mixing together different colours to make up for the ones I a missing. I'm hoping some new paint will arrive this week!

End of Day One - Front

End of Day One - Side

End of Day One - Back

DAY 2 - 1.5 hours

It seems only typical that after a great day of painting yesterday, today would be not so good. All I managed today was the base coat and outline of the hook and Maui's hand. I redid these over and over as I couldn't get them to look natural, the arm was particularly difficult. I am at least content with how they appear at the end of day 2 so I can move onto other things tomorrow.

End of Day Two - Side

DAY 3 - 3 hours

Today was a bit more successful but still a bit tough-going. I managed to add all of the details to the hook, as well as the shark tail. I am happy with the grass skirt and necklace, I was starting to get more into the flow of painting when I did those! Hopefully tomorrow will be the final day on this doll - I just need to paint the tattoos!


End of Day Three - Front

End of Day Three - Side

End of Day Three - Back

DAY 4 - 2 hours

The final leg was just to paint the tattoos - it was fun to focus on one thing. I referenced screenshots from the movie but simplified the designs to fit the doll shape. The painting process was very delicate, fortunately I have some new paintbrushes that are amazing! Before, I would wear out around one paintbrush for every large doll (the hairs would split), but my new fancy brushes have lasted with no sign of splitting so far. It's definitely worth investing in more expensive brushes in the long term, especially if you are painting lots of fine detail.

I love how the finished doll looks, I'm very happy with the tattoos, and especially the face which I feel has a good likeness to the movie.

The Finished Doll - Front


The Finished Doll - Left Side

The Finished Doll - Back

The Finished Doll - Right Side


You can watch the whole painting process in video form below:



Comments

Popular Posts