MONKEY ISLAND Nesting Dolls 10 YEAR CHALLENGE | Chapter 1/5 | Guybrush Threepwood

Ten years ago I painted my first Russian nesting doll set with characters from the video game Monkey Island. Ten years later I've decided to challenge myself to repaint the same design, only bigger and (hopefully) better!

My original set from 2012 in front, and behind is the new blank set

I'm starting the challenge with the Guybrush Threepwood nesting doll.

The original Guybrush nesting doll from 2012 vs the blank doll ready for painting

DAY ONE - 2 hours

I got off to good start today and completed Guybrush's face, as well as most of his hair. I'm sticking with the Monkey Island 2 inspired design - so that means Guybrush with a beard! I'll be adding arms and hands to all of the new dolls, as well as some extra props. I regretted not including an eyeball necklace (from the navigator's head in the first game) to Guybrush's design 10 years ago. This time I'll be sure to include it. Otherwise I will be using the original set as reference and reusing most of the same design elements.

Day 1

DAY TWO - 2 hours

Progress felt a bit slower today. I painted Guybrush's hands and sword, as well as blocked out the blue jacket. I'm not sure why but I couldn't really get into the flow of painting today. Before I would have just given up and put the project aside for a few months, but recently I have learned that I just need to keep trying however difficult the creative process is. You can't wait until you feel ready because you probably never will. That's a rubber chicken that he's holding the the side picture btw

Day Two - Front

Day Two - Back


Day Two - Side

DAY THREE - 2 hours

Another tough day, starting to worry about finishing the doll on time for the end of the week. I have one last day tomorrow to finalize the belts, rubber chicken, and hair, as well as add the coat pattern and eyeball necklace. I also want to add a monkey holding a cotton swab to the back of the doll.

I do think the doll is looking great, I'm just frustrated at how slow I am at painting. I will need to knuckle down tomorrow and be efficient with my time to get the doll completed on time, without compromising on quality.

Day Three - Front

 DAY FOUR - 2 hours

I finished the doll in a bit of a rush today, I didn't manage to film the final few details as I lost the daylight but hopefully no one will miss it from my painting video. I'd been undecided this morning as to what exactly I should paint on the back of the doll - I had lots of ideas but settled on a selection of Guybrush's weird inventory from across the series (including Murray!). 
At last my updated, new and improved, bigger and better Guybrush Threepwood nesting doll is complete! I'm very happy with how he looks, especially compared to the 2012 version. It's reassuring to see how much I have grown as an artist. Perhaps in another 10 years I can paint an even better version.
I did feel a bit rushed painting this doll, I'm not sure why. I normally take at least a few weeks off between nesting doll sets, this is the first time I have started another set straight away so it might be that. I didn't feel very prepared going into this new nesting doll project, but after completing Guybrush I feel more comfortable with the idea of continuing this set.
Next week I plan to paint the Voodoo Lady nesting doll, so stay tuned for more Monkey Island art!

Completed Guybrush Doll - Front

Completed Guybrush Doll - Back


Completed Guybrush Doll - Left

Completed Guybrush Doll - Right



I made a video again showing the painting process, you can watch it below:






Comments

Popular Posts