Painting a DISNEY MOANA Nesting Doll Set from Start to Finish - PART 5/5

 

The completed set!


I had the four remaining small nesting dolls to paint this week - Moana's Grandma, Kakamora, Hei Hei the chicken, and the Heart of Te Fiti. Only Moana's grandma took more than one day to complete, the rest were done in only a few hours!

Things weren't looking great at this stage

The hardest part was getting the grandma's face right, as you can see from above it took some time until I was satisfied with the result. The last and smallest three dolls were completed in just a few hours. I'm particularly happy with how the chicken looks - his bewildered expression works well with the shape of the doll.

I like that the Heart can be found inside the Chicken - just like in the movie!


I included green elements (Te Fiti, Moana's crown and the Heart) throughout the set to bind them together. Te Fiti is my least favourite in the set, I feel she is not super recognisable from the movie especially without the context of the rest of the set. I am pleasantly surprised with how much I like the 3 smallest dolls, they are simple and bright and charming. Maui's tattoos were a lot of fun to paint, although time-consuming, and I also enjoyed the challenge of translating the giant crab Tamatoa onto the nesting doll shape.
All in all, I like this set very much! 
Coming next will be a revisit to an older nesting doll set of mine - Monkey Island! I will continue to update my blog weekly with that set too. I hope you have been enjoying a behind-the-scenes look at my nesting doll painting.






I also made a video showing myself opening the completed set, and don't forget to watch my videos showing the painting process on my YouTube channel:










Comments

Popular Posts